Frequently Asked Questions

Structural Engineers are needed to design the “bones” of the building. The architect decides the shape, size and appearance, but engineers design the structural systems and are qualified to sign off on those structural elements.

A structural engineer provides expertise regarding the structural analysis and design of structures. A structural engineer will determine the various forces that act on a building and will select the appropriate framing system for its purpose and offer recommendations for construction and economic feasibility. All engineers at Furey Consulting Engineers have knowledge of common construction materials such as steel, concrete, wood and masonry and can design appropriately. We will prepare the required structural plans, calculations, specifications and reports in order to safely and economically construct your building, and we will coordinate with the other building systems that will load the structure.

Building Regulations are a set of legal requirements for the design and construction of new buildings, extensions and material alterations to and certain changes of use of existing buildings. Building Regulations provide for, in relation to buildings, the health, safety and welfare of people, conservation of fuel and energy, and access for people with disabilities. The minimum requirements that a building must achieve in order to comply with the Building Regulations are set out in various “Technical Guidance Documents” also known as the TGDs. The TGDs are broken down into Parts A through M as outlined below:

  • Part A – Structure
  • Part B – Fire Safety
  • Part C – Site Preparation and Resistance to Moisture
  • Part D – Materials and Workmanship
  • Part E – Sound
  • Part F – Ventilation
  • Part G – Hygiene
  • Part H – Drainage and Waste Water Disposal
  • Part J – Heat Producing Appliances
  • Part K – Stairways, Ladders, Ramps and Guards
  • Part L – Conservation of Fuel and Energy
  • Part M – Access and Use

A copy of each of these documents can be downloaded from the Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government website at the following link:

A Commencement Notice is a notification to a Building Control Authority that a person intends to carry out either works, or a Material Change of Use to which the Building Regulations apply. The notice must be given to the authority not more than 28 days and not less than 14 days before the commencement of works or the change of use. Once validated by the building control authority, works must commence on site within the 28 day period. A commencement notice is lodged on the Building Control Management System (BCMS) website.
The owner of the building, the designer who designs the works, and the builder who carries out the works are responsible, under law, for compliance with Building Regulations and Building Control Regulations.

A Certificate of Compliance on Completion must be lodged with the Building Control Authority and placed on the public register before the building may be opened, occupied or used. The Certificate must be signed by the Assigned Certifier and the Builder and is then uploaded to the BCMS website. It certifies that the building or works have been carried out in accordance with the Building Regulations.

Scroll to Top